Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 14 Summit Day

I had a lot of trouble sleeping through the night staying awake excited about the climb. When we got up, as always, breakfast is made for us, however in this case you wish you made if yourself. The guides made us cream of wheat. Not sure if you have tried it or even ever heard of it but you should keep it that way. Needless to say I didn't end up finishing my breakfast. I had the mindset that I would be working all day with little food and short breaks. That mindset ended up serving me well because it took us close to 8 hours to reach the last hill to the summit. One of the guides walked by me and made the statement "Do you have it in you?" We were standing at the base of the last hill cleverly named pig hill staring at the summit trying to find the drive within and asking myself why I am doing this. I racked my brain and nothing came. I am not sure what pushed me up the final hill through the -30 temperatures and the howling winds however when tears came to my eyes on the summit it all became worth it. I stood on the summit for fewer than ten minuets, took some pictures, and created a memory and accomplishment that not many people have. As we finished climbing back to 17,000 camp we were greeted by one of the guides that stayed behind and had soup prepared. It was 2:30 in the morning making it just over a 15 hour round trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment