Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 2

We were greeted by a chilly morning that was a clear reminder that we are not staying in a 5 star hotel. We are in the middle of a Mountian range camping on a glassier looking up at the highest mountain in North America. The only heater we have is our bodies covered in up to 7 layers of clothes. It gets so cold at night we keep our boot liners, water bottles, gloves, and any electrical equipment in our sleeping bags to prevent them from freezing. The scenario of waking up on the glacier was common to me because I spent 12 days on a mountaineering course 8 months before in the same area. The thing that was a surprise to me was that the sun didn't go down until 11:30 pm and was back up again at 4:00 am. To fall asleep I kept my hat over my eyes. We pack up for the day for a five mile snowshoe hike across the kahiltna glacier. We arrived at the base of "ski hill" and set up camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment